This is a terror event like no other, one which has been prolonged by the use of technology, adhoc and otherwise. A call out from the users of the service Twitter requested on #mumbai that the Live Media Coverage being broadcast by news networks such as NDTV and CNN-IBN may have made the situation ‘worse’ than ‘better’ by not only letting those “on the street” know what is going on, but also informing those on the inside in the form of Terrorists.
So this situation almost on the flipside. The Broadcast media apparently making the situation worse (Not to be outdone by a major network broadcasting on-air the room number of a hostage) and the AdHoc (Twittersphere) using this opportunity to spread information that is beneficial to all of those involved.
Such notable ones as:
- The number of tweets about people heading to hospitals to donate blood is astonishing!
- @aadisht: #mumbai Holy Family Hospital has enough blood; please donate elsewhere if you do.
- rockzapper: #mumbai NDTV still showing commando movements. Doesn’t it get it? This can cause a grim situation for police.
- @blogdiva: more numbers to call re Mumbai crisis : US helpline 888-407-4747 Brazilian help line 9820686143 (C) CNN IBN FA 1-613-996-8885
- blogdiva: if you are in Mumbai and want to donate blood, call 922 222 1947 and tell them you want to donate. They’ll get back to you when someone
- CXI Our hearts go out to those suffering in Mumbai, as well as my friends and associations out there being personally impacted.
Never before in history have people had access to so much information, so real time, and so fast and available. Some may feel that Twitter may be a hindrance to situations going on, however the spread of information by good people wanting to help has never been so prevalent as their ability to reach out and help, especially when times called for it most.
This is hard on everyone, and no one feels it so much as those in Mumbai and with friends and family who live there. Our hearts are out to you, and may this catastrophe be resolved with no more innocent deaths or bloodshed.
Tomorrow won’t be known as Thanksgiving, but Thanksliving for those who can survive this horrific time and be stronger for it, in light of desperate and terrible situations.
Be safe, and be well.