Welcome to Episode 2 in a series around information for you regarding EMC FAST! (Also known as Fully Automated Storage Tiering!)
You may recall from Episode 1 that I said this was something I am extremely excited about – and I thought I made that clear!
That was until I started to delve into the details, find, sort and collect the documents (which I unveil for you to find here!) and not to mention all of the other features above and beyond just FAST! That is what got me excited for FAST beyond the V-MAX! So I hope this collection of documents gets you going in the right direction so you can become just as excited about FAST for the Celeriion just as I AM :)
I know a lot of you are looking for materials and information regarding FAST – There are numerous questions you have regarding this and since a lot of you are self-starters, I’m going to tell you what information I directly know about today, and where to get it!
The documents below require credentials on EMC’s PowerLink – so please keep that in mind when it comes to accessing the links!
- Automated Tiered Storage with EMC Celerra and Rainfinity File Management Appliance – Applied Best Practices
- Celerra Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST) Demo Lab Guide
- Reference Architecture: Automated Storage Tiering on EMC Celerra
- Reference Architecture: EMC Celerra Fully Automated Storage Tiering
- EMC Celerra Unified Storage
- EMC Rainfinity File Management Appliance
- Storage Tiering with EMC Celerra FAST
- EMC Celerra NetWork Server – Release Notes
- Video: Foster Pepper on Celerra FAST
- Definitely check out the video! I thought about hacking together a display of the video on here, but since it’s not published via YouTube or other, and I didn’t want anyone to spank me for exporting the .flv video, and uploading it or displaying it through another site – I’ll just link you to it’s source :)
- Other great resources!!!
- Theory and Best Practices for FAST: Performance and Planning
- Enterprise Flash Drives and Unified Storage – Technology Concepts and Business Considerations
- Clipper Group: EMC Rolls Out Fully Automated Storage Tiering and Other Storage Enhancements
- Building the Virtual Information Infrastructure – Technology Concepts and Business Considerations
- EMC Ionix ControlCenter 6.1 Admin guide – includes steps around FAST
- Handout: Simple, Powerful, Unified Storage from EMC
- EMC FAST and Technology Direction
Being that I’ve consolidated Celerra and CLARiiON into a single post, you might be asking “Well, what value do I get from either or both of these?!” Here is a Features and Benefits list!
|Celerra Features||Celerra Benefits||CLARiiON Features||CLARiiON Benefits|
|Robust policy engine||Automate storage tiering to lower costs and deliver higher service levels||User-defined analysis||Simplify storage tiering to lower costs and deliver higher service levels|
|Intuitive interface||Create a policy, define the rules, and then save and enact the policy||Intuitive management||Leverage software that analyzes data and recommends where it should be migrated|
|Transparent mobility||Access data without changes to users and applications||Transparent mobility||Move and access data without changes to users and applications|
|In-the-box tiering||Leverage up to three tiers in the same Celerra system||User-approved migrations||Gain visibility into what is moving, when it moves and where it moves|
|Outside-the-box tiering||Enable Celerra, Centera, or Atmos as the target for third-tier storage||Tiered storage support||Leverage Flash, Fibre Channel and SATA drive technologies|
|Storage efficiencies||Deduplicate and compress files on Celerra systems|
I know what you’re saying “Wow Christopher, you got those marketing terms down pat!” hee, but seriously, those are quoted verbatim from the links mentioned above. However, one hard solid benefit of Celerra you need to make sure you’re always aware of is the fact that on its own, Celerra largely reduces your backup window. Add FAST to Celerra and watch out!
So, I hope you get as much joy and excitement out of this new launch and technology which will revolutionize the way you not only do business but by the way you think about SLA’s and business problems in the future. I’ll cover specific details of how this has solved real hard business problems for customers so you can enjoy those successes like I have!
I’ve provided these direct links using PowerLink and a Partner account (not employee) – Please advise if for whatever reason you’re unable to find something and I’ll be sure to get that taken care of and the document in front of you! Also, if you come across a document I missed and you think should be included, raise the roof and let me know and I’ll be sure to get it featured here! Not to mention if you find a particular document to be overly useful, feel free to comment on that fact, I’d love to know which would be a better doc to re-read or recc’ to others!
I’m really excited about this and your questions are what will make me and the whole community as a whole a lot more knowledgeable around this subject! So Keep em coming!
Be sure to check out my other posts about EMC FAST: One Stop Shop for Symmetrix V-Max Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST) docs! and FAST from EMC – Performance meet the quickening!